Here’s how to make these stunning sloth cupcakes with their buttercream flowers and leaves.
They may look complicated but they are relatively straight forward to make with no need for special equipment, just some piping tips.
You will need a set of baked and cooled cupcakes and buttercream.
Make the fondant faces
Making these first gives the fondant time to harden a little before you transfer them onto the buttercream.
1. Use an oval shape cutter or cut free hand the face shape from 3mm thick white fondant.
2. Cut stripes of dark grey fondant and cut to size for the eye patches.
3. Use a small ball tool or tip of tool handle to make a dent for eyes.
4. Roll equal sized black fondant balls for eyes. Attach with edible glue.
5. Create a nose by using a small amount of black fondant and pressing into an oval shape.
6. Make a smile mark on fondant. I snipped a hollow cake dowel to make a tool for this. (Pic 3)
Colour the buttercream into 3 or 4 different colours making sure to include a green for the leaves.
Use a drop flower tip, star tip and leaf tip. If you do not have a leaf tip you can cut a small triangle into the tip of the piping bag.
1. Pipe 3 small swirls with the star tip onto each cupcake.
2. Add the drop flowers.
3. Gently press on the fondant face.
4. Fill any gaps with drop flowers and piped leaves.
There you have it!
2 thoughts on “Floral Sloth Cupcakes”
What type of frosting do you use for your cakes and cupcakes?
Hi, I use buttercream made with 1:2 unsalted butter and icing sugar