These little piggy cupcakes were made for my kids during the covid 19 lockdown. I had a bag of lovely strawberry milkshake flavour icing sugar to use and a fair bit of fondant icing… However you won’t need a lot to decorate these cute cakes.
You will need:
Pink food colouring
Brown food colouring
Black ball sprinkles or black fondant for eyes
Piping bag and star tip
A few sugarcraft tools such as circle or rose cutters, rolling pin, small ball tool.
How to decorate the pig cupcakes
1. Make the ears first to allow them a bit of time to dry. Roll out your pink fondant 3mm thick. Use a circle or petal cutter to cut 2 for each cupcake. Pinch the rounded side together and if needed, shape the top with a little pinch too.
2. Make the snout. Roll equal sized balls for all the snouts required. Gently press to flatten and make 2 small intents.
3. Make tails by rolling a thin sausage and wrapping around a tool handle. Cut to the desired tail length.
4. Using the star tip pipe buttercream over the cupcake.
5. Whilst buttercream still soft push the ears into place. Add the small eyes and snout. The tail can be placed at the top of the cupcake or on the cake board.
6. You could you chocolate buttercream and brown ears/snouts too like I’ve done.
Decorating the cake board (skip if you don’t require this)
1. Start by covering the cake drum in a layer of green fondant.
2. Roll out some brown fondant and cut out some mud patches to put on the board.
3. Work out where you will place the cupcakes and use a little tool or end of brush to make hoof prints in the mud around them. For the muddy prints on the green I painted these with edible brown dust mixed with vodka.
4. Put ribbon around the edge of the board.
5. Use a dab of buttercream to secure the cupcakes in place on the cake board.
Finished! You could add a message to the cake board for birthdays or other occasions.